The UIU Master of Education (M.Ed.) is designed for educators who want to develop a broad base of knowledge, skills and dispositions that will increase classroom effectiveness and enhance their capacity for teacher leadership. Within the M.Ed. strands, we offer advanced coursework that targets the needs of those seeking endorsements in Special Education, Reading, Early Childhood Education and ESL as well as an emphasis on Teacher Leadership. We expect to serve learners who desire certain teaching license endorsements and/or to meet the requirements for the M.Ed. degree. The Master of Education is conveniently located at three locations: Des Moines Center, Waterloo Center, and Fayette Campus. The Teacher Leadership program is now available online.
Learners may earn the teaching license endorsement for:
- Early Childhood (PreK-3, PreK-K)
- Early Childhood Unified (PreK-3)
- English as a Second Language K-12
- Instructional Strategist I: Mild/Moderate (K-8 and/or 5-12)
- Instructional Strategist II: Behavior Disorders/Learning Disabilities K-12
- Instructional Strategist II: Intellectual Disabilities K-12
- Reading (K-8 and/or 5-12)
All learners who complete endorsements are encouraged to complete the additional graduate work to earn a Master of Education degree in one of the following areas of emphasis:
- Early Childhood
- English as a Second Language
- Instructional Strategist
- Teacher Leadership (available on campus and online)
Interested students should complete the application form and submit it online. Financial aid may be available.
Please click here to download the handbook, which provides details about the application procedures and requirements for admission; tuition/fees and financial aid; program goals; degree requirements; areas of emphasis; course descriptions; and the course rotation.
Spring-Summer 2014 schedule (pdf).
Dr. R. Kevin Mackin
Chair, Master of Education Program