As a Communication Studies major at UIU, you will have the opportunity to learn about the central role communication has in our lives. You will learn to identify, analyze, and evaluate various communication goals and successfully adapt messages to the demands of complex situations. As a global citizen, you will learn to understand, value, and manage diverse communication behaviors associated with people from other groups, organizations, and cultures. As a communication professional, you gain competence in the theoretical and ethical foundations that inform research, organizational, and professional practices.
With the need in society for employees who can read, write, compute, communicate, and think critically, a major in Communication Studies will get you noticed by employers. This major prepares you to enter a career immediately after graduation or for continued graduate studies. Popular career choices include: federal government positions, public affairs, corporate communication, customer services, training and development, human resources administrator, public information officer, public relations, community action director, and high school or college teacher.
LOCATION: Main residential campus in Fayette, Iowa
MAJOR IN COMMUNICATION STUDIES
- (3) COMM 105 Public Speaking
- (3) COMM 107 Human Communication
- (3) COMM 200 Interpersonal Communication
- (3) COMM 203 Communication Theory
- (3) COMM 221 Intercultural Communication
- (3) COMM 227 News Editing
- (3) COMM 307 Business and Professional Communication
- (3) COMM 390 Research Methods in Communication
Choose one of the following two (3):
- COMM 310 Feature Writing
- COMM 322 Writing for Media
Choose two of the following three (6):
- COMM 305 Organizational Communication
- COMM 327 Family Communication
- COMM 351 Agricultural Communication
- (3) COMM 415 Communication Ethics
- (3) COMM 498 Senior Seminar
Total: 39 credits
Note: Students planning to continue their studies in graduate school are advised to take PSY/SOC 373 Research Methods and MATH 220 Elementary Statistics in addition to the courses required in the major.