Sociology is the study of social relationships and human society. The purpose of the study of sociology is to develop an understanding of the social environment and to apply this knowledge in future career settings.
As a Sociology major, you will gain insight into social institutions ranging from small groups to large organizations. You will also acquire diversity skills for use at the local and global levels. Diversity skills are essential in contemporary work environments and professions.
The Sociology major at Upper Iowa University also serves as preparation for graduate school or to continue your education in law school.
LOCATION: Main residential campus in Fayette, Iowa
- (3) SOC 110 Principles of Sociology
- (3) SOC 220 Social Problems
- (3) MATH 220 Elementary Statistics
- (3) SOC 240 Diversity in the United States
- (3) SOC 304 Globalization
- (3) SOC 392 Sociological Theory
- (3) SOC 334 Introduction to Sociological Research Methods
At least four of the following: (12)
- SOC 260 Gender Roles
- SOC 381 Political Sociology
- SOC 361 Marriage and the Family
- SOC 321 Juvenile Delinquency
- SOC 347 Deviance and Social Control
- SOC 363 Social Stratification
- (3) SOC 418 Applied Research Methods
- (6) Electives in Sociology
Total Credits: 42