UIU President Alan G. Walker was on hand Thursday night to congratulate Homecoming King Alan Martinez from Caracas, Venezuela, and Queen Deratra Hutton from Maywood, Ill.
FAYETTE, Iowa (September 16, 2011) -- Alan Martinez and Deratra Hutton were crowned king and queen of the 2011 Homecoming at Upper Iowa University Thursday night. Martinez is a senior, majoring in marketing and graphic design, from Caracas, Venezuela, a member of Alpha Nu Omega, a student ambassador, and a member of the UIU men's soccer team. Hutton is a senior, elementary education major from Maywood, Ill., and a member of Phi Beta Delta.
Members of the 2011 UIU Homecoming court include:
- Johanna Hageman, Waucoma, Iowa, accounting, member of Gamma Delta Phi, and Phi Beta Lambda
- Emma Vanderheyden, Rockford, Ill., exercise and sports study, member of the UIU women's soccer team
- Chelsey Sechrest, Olney, Ill, athletic training, member of EYE sorority
- Caitlin Wagener, Green Oaks, Ill., athletic training, member of Kappa Zeta Tau and the women's soccer team.
- Isabel Sze Wei Sin, Malaysia, marketing and journalism.
- Bo Miller, Naperville, Ill., exercise sports science, and member of the UIU men's soccer team.
- Noah Schaufenbuel, Fort Atkinson, Iowa, information technology, member of Phi Beta Lambda.
- Marquise Figueroa, Fresno, Calif., exercise and sports studies.
- Justin Kuylen, Belize City, Belize, graphic design.
The UIU Homecoming court also includes attendants from each class, including:
Freshmen attendants: Amanda Weiss, West Bend, Wis., biology and athletic training; and Damon Cotton, Milwaukee, Wis., forensic sciences.
Sophomore attendants: Melissa Mueller, Stillwater, Minn., marketing; and Jake Bass, Perris, Calif., elementary education.
Junior attendants: Kayla Wagner, Ottumwa, Iowa, biology; and Tony Varnava, Schaumburg, Ill., international business.
Monica Bayer Heaton
Executive Director of Communications and Marketing
About Upper Iowa University
Founded in 1857, Upper Iowa University is a private, not-for-profit university providing undergraduate and graduate degree programs and leadership development opportunities to nearly 6,800 students—nationally and internationally—at its Fayette campus and learning centers worldwide. Upper Iowa University is a recognized innovator in offering accredited, quality programs through flexible, multiple delivery systems, including online and independent study. For more information, visit www.uiu.edu.