Team Peacock 2012 ends a long successful journey with the traditional dipping of the front tire in the Mississippi River. This year's Team Peacock is gearing up for another great ride.
FAYETTE, Iowa (June 12, 2013) – Training for this year's RAGBRAI XL is in full swing for Upper Iowa University's Team Peacock as it embarks on its ninth expedition in the famous Des Moines Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa. This year, Team Peacock riders have chosen specific funds to support with the goal of raising a grand total of $50,000 for UIU student and athletic programs and scholarships – the largest ever rider-led goal. The team, comprised of students, faculty, alumni, staff, Board of Trustee members and friends of UIU, will ride the 406-mile southern route from Council Bluffs to Fort Madison July 21-27 with overnight stops along the way in Harlan, Perry, Des Moines, Knoxville, Oskaloosa and Fairfield.
"The 2013 UIU crew ushers in a new era for Team Peacock," said Dr. William R. Duffy, President. "Riders can now support those Upper Iowa programs or scholarships that they are most passionate about. This increased affinity for specific causes within the University has created an even greater level of excitement for this year's RAGBRAI. Team Peacock is ready to hit the road to make a difference for our students!"
Team Peacock has been riding RAGBRAI every year since 2005 – about 3,500 miles – as a fundraising effort to increase scholarships for Upper Iowa University students. Through individual donor pledges and corporate sponsorships, the Team topped the $1.3 million cumulative total in 2012. This year, each Team Peacock rider has committed to raising a minimum of $750 in support of a specific UIU cause. These causes include academic programs, athletic programs, student/activities/programming and many more directly impacting students.
The record amount raised by Team Peacock riders only was set in 2011 when just over $44,000 was raised. This year's $50,000 challenge to riders is to break that record.
Follow Team Peacock and make a donation online at www.uiu.edu/teampeacock.
Riders and their causes include:
• Michael Andres – Student scholarships and programs
• Stephanie Andres – Student scholarships and programs
• Kayla Bergman – Peacock Softball
• Jackie Berry – Men's and women's golf teams
• Amanda Bradberry – Peacock Softball
• Megan Butler – Student scholarships and programs
• Shelby Crist – Peacock Softball
• Crystal Czarnecki – Student scholarships and programs
• Anthony DiJohn – Student scholarships and programs; and Men's soccer program
• President Bill Duffy – Linda Haines Scholarship
• Tara Duran – Peacock Softball
• Colleen Edwards – UIU kinesiology lab
• Gary Edwards – Student scholarships and programs
• Bob and Betty Firth – 'Raise the Bar' campaign
• Jacqueline Flood – Peacock Softball
• Sammy Garrett – Peacock Softball
• Daryl Grove – Fayette Appreciation Day
• Jackson Hayek – Peacock Baseball program
• Adriel Hilton – Hilton-Khoury Scholarship
• Jamie Hurst – Peacock Softball
• Lynn Isvik – Phi Beta Lambda travel
• Holly Johnson – Out-of-classroom opportunities for students
• Erica Kirgan – Peacock Softball
• Rick Klann – Lew Churbuck Scholarship
• Brooklyn Koranda – Peacock Softball
• Riley Kruel – Peacock Softball
• Carol Langerman-Aten – Stivers Leadership Scholarship
• Mara Jones – Peacock Softball
• Justin Marchant – Student Life, men's soccer program and scholarship funds
• Lauren Marlinghaus – Peacock Softball
• Robert McGlashan – Student scholarships
• Shea Meyermann – Women's volleyball team
• Seth Miner – Student scholarships
• Katie Mnichowicz – Peacock Softball
• Casey Musgrave – Peacock Softball
• Bobbi Ney – Peacock Softball
• Jason Olsgard – Men's and women's soccer programs
• Missy Olson – Peacock Softball
• Brooke Redmond – Peacock Softball
• Katie Sammons – Peacock Softball
• Storm Schmitt – Outdoor Pursuits
• Don Sheppard – Student scholarships
• Annie Van Wetzinga – Peacock Softball
• Stacey Weber – Foster Cass Student Foundation Scholarship
• Andrew Wenthe – UIU Art Department
• Leif White – Environmental Science Scholarship
• Madie Wilkin – Peacock Softball
• Whitney Williams – Peacock Softball
• Holly Wolff – Student activities and equipment
• Tim Wolff – UIU Art Department
About Upper Iowa University Founded in 1857, Upper Iowa University is a private, not-for-profit university providing undergraduate and graduate degree programs and leadership development opportunities to some 6,200 students—nationally and internationally—at its Fayette campus and learning centers worldwide. Upper Iowa University is a recognized innovator in offering accredited, quality programs through flexible, multiple delivery systems, including online and independent study. For more information, visit www.uiu.edu.