"Peacock Strong" Homecoming
set for October 1-3, 2020
Each year we are excited to involve UIU students, faculty and staff, the Fayette community and especially welcome alumni back to campus. The Homecoming Committee is working diligently year-round to make this a special Homecoming celebration for you. If you have suggestions or wish to volunteer, please contact the Alumni Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 563-425-5388.
All events and activities are subject to change. We will continue to follow recommendations from federal, state and local public health agencies to host a safe and enjoyable weekend for all. The current schedule and all announcements will be posted to this web page. We hope to see you in Fayette in a few months!
2020 Tentative Homecoming Itinerary:
- Art Reception - Bing-Davis Memorial Gallery, 3-5:30 p.m., Contemporary drawings by artist, Andrew J. Wroble will be featured. Refreshments will be served.
- Welcome Home Cookout - Peacock Pavilion (tailgate area), 5:30 p.m. - This all-class reunion BBQ buffet dinner, hosted by the Alumni Association, is a perfect
way to start your weekend. Rain location is Student Center. RSVP required.
- Pep Rally, Coronation & Bonfire - Peacock Pavilion (tailgate area), 7:30 p.m. - Don't miss this Homecoming tradition, sure to energize you for a whole weekend of Peacock fun. Rain location is Dorman Gymnasium.
Friday, Oct. 2
- Research, Internship & Creative Endeavors - Baker-Hebron Hall and Garbee Hall (Lower Level), 1 - 2:30 p.m. - Join the Department of Biology and Chemistry and the Department of Geosciences,
Geography and Mathematical Sciences in viewing posters detailing the activities and
work of many of the school's undergraduates.
- Agates, Crystals and Geodes Display - Garbee Hall (Lower Level), 3-5 p.m. - Featuring specimens from the collection donated to UIU by Burton and Dorthea ’71 Odekirk and Leora Sullivan ’61. Guests are invited to bring specimens or digital images of your own rocks or fossils for identification by UIU Professor of Geosciences, Dr. Kata McCarville.
- 8th Annual President's Fundraising Ball - Student Center Ballroom, 5:30 p.m. - We're "Puttin' On The Glitz" and you're invited for an evening of fun, friendship and fundraising. During this year's roaring 20's themed event, guests may enjoy a cocktail reception at 5:30 p.m., with dinner program and dancing to follow. For more info, visit uiu.edu/presidentsball. RSVP required.
Saturday, Oct. 3
- Archives Take-Away Display & Social - Student Center (main level), 8:30 a.m. - Take a trip down memory lane! If you RSVP'd for the weekend, we will do our best to pull photos and articles from UIU Archives that you are featured in. Feel free to take items home with you! Coffee available for guests.
- Alumni Awards & Honor Class Brunch - Student Center Ballroom, 9:30 a.m. - This event will honor the classes of '60, '70, '80, '90, '95 and '00. A special gift will be presented to members of the 50-year class. In addition our
distinguished Alumni Award honorees and members of the Heritage Society will be recognized. The brunch is complimentary to all alumni and friends, but RSVP is required.
To submit an Alumni Awards Nomination for Homecoming 2021, click here. (The deadline for 2020 awards has passed.)
- Homecoming Parade - Downtown Fayette, Noon - Make your way downtown and enjoy the parade with your UIU family. Click here to submit a parade entry form.
- UIU Heritage, History and Headstones Tour - Hendersen-Wilder Library, 1:30 - 3 p.m., Meet in the library to carpool or caravan to Grandview Cemetery for a guided tour
by Dr. Kata McCarville. Self-guided tour maps will also be available for pickup at
the circulation desk.
- Live Music - Tailgate area - Featured performer will be announced soon!
- UIU Heritage, History and Headstones Tour - Hendersen-Wilder Library, time is TBD, Meet in the library to enjoy a guided tour with Dr. Kata McCarville of the highlights
of Grandview Cemetery. Self-guided tour maps will also be available for pickup at
the circulation desk.
- Alumni Tailgate - Tailgate area, 1-3 p.m. - All are invited to our pregame party! The classes of '05, '10 and '15 are celebrating
their 5, 10 and 15-year reunions and will receive a special gift for stopping by.
- Football Alumni Victory Walk - Tailgate area, 1:45 p.m. - Gather with fellow Peacock football alums and lead our team to the field.
- UIU Homecoming Football Game - Harms-Eischeid Stadium, 3:05 p.m. kickoff - Come cheer the Peacocks to victory! Admission prices are $15 for adults, $10 for ages 5-18 and kids under 5 are free.
Student Homecoming Traditions
Throughout Homecoming week, UIU students will be hosting several events and activities:
- Sunday - Student Fashion Show, hosted by Beta Theta Omega
- Monday - Window Painting
- Tuesday - King & Queen Voting
- Wednesday - Sidewalk Chalk Challenge
- Thursday - Pep Rally, Coronation & Bonfire
- Tell Your UIU Story - Hendersen-Wilder Library - Share your stores of your time at UIU and after graduation. Write your story in our
new online Peacock Proud Discussion Board, or add your verbal history to the UIU Archives self-service recording booth in the
library. Contact UIU Archivist, Janette Garcia at 563-425-5722 or email@example.com.
- UIU Art Exhibition - Bing-Davis Memorial Gallery - Artist, Andrew J. Wroble's contemporary drawings will be featured. The gallery will be open Friday 8 a.m. - 7 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Sunday
8 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Alumni Access to Library Journals and Articles - Henderson-Wilder Library – The Library’s Gale Databases are available to alumni to search articles in a wide
variety of subjects. Gale is a family of full text databases of content from academic
journals and general magazines. Join us to learn about articles you're interested
in and learn how to navigate this new tool.
- Guided Campus Tours - To arrange a guided campus tour, please contact the Alumni Office at 563-425-5388 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to mention any accessibility needs we can help accommodate.
Additional Information & Resources:
- For more information on lodging, dining, directions and other travel information, click here.
- Please contact the Alumni Office with Homecoming questions at 563-425-5388 or email@example.com.