About | Courses | Faculty | Print
Upper Iowa University has an affiliation with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., that is one of our two options through which you can become a certified Clinical Laboratory Scientist. Be prepared to analyze biological specimens in various clinical settings such as microbiology, hematology, immunology, and toxicology.
You may either earn a major in Clinical Laboratory Science through a “3 + 1” agreement, where you complete the first three years of preparatory coursework at UIU, followed by one year of coursework at the Mayo Clinic. Or, you may choose the alternate method, a “4 + 1” option, where you complete the biology major, along with all required Clinical Laboratory Science prerequisites, and obtain the B.S. in biology from Upper Iowa. With the “4 + 1” option, you may apply to be accepted into the one-year-program at the Mayo Clinic leading to the completion of a certificate in Clinical Laboratory Science.
After successfully completing either the “3 + 1” or “4 + 1” options you will be eligible to sit for national certification exams.
LOCATION: Main residential campus in Fayette, Iowa
MAJOR IN CLINICAL LABORATORY SCIENCE
- (3) MATH 105 College Algebra w/Applications (or higher*)
- (3) MATH 220 Elementary Statistics
- (4) CHEM 151 General Chemistry I
- (4) CHEM 152 General Chemistry II
- (4) CHEM 251 Organic Chemistry I
- (4) CHEM 252 Organic Chemistry I
- (3) CHEM 330 Biochemistry I
- (4) BIO 135 Principles of Biology I
- (4) BIO 140 Principles of Biology II
- (4) BIO 210 Microbiology
- (4) BIO 268 Intro to Human Anatomy and Physiology
- (4) BIO 283 General Genetics
One of the following courses (3-4):
- BIO 381 Cell and Molecular Biology
- BIO 330 Vertebrate Histology
- BIO 370+371 Pathophysiology with Lab
Total: 48-49 credits
*Students could substitute MATH 111 Precalculus or MATH 120 Calculus I for MATH 105. Clinical component completed at Mayo Clinic.